Sergeant Peter Francisco

Description:

Francisco’s origins are shrouded in mystery. It is believed he was born on at Porto Judeu, on the island of Terceira, in the Archipelago of the Azores, under the rule of, Hapsburg Empire. He was found at about age five on the docks at City Point, Virginia and was taken to the Prince George County Poorhouse. Not speaking English, he repeated the name “Pedro Francisco”. The locals called him Peter. They soon discovered the boy spoke Portuguese and noted his clothing was of good quality.

When able to communicate, Pedro said that he had lived in a mansion near the ocean. His mother spoke French and his father spoke another language which he did not know. He and his sister were kidnapped from the grounds, but his sister escaped, while Francisco was bound and taken to a ship. The authorities in Virginia believed it is possible that the kidnappers intended to hold the children for ransom or that they had intended to sell them as indentured servants in The Republic, but changed their minds.

Peter was soon taken in by the judge Anthony Winston of Buckingham County, Virginia. Francisco lived with Winston and his family. When he was old enough to work, he was apprenticed as a blacksmith, a profession chosen because of his massive size and strength.

Eventually word of the “Virginian Giant” reached the colonial supervisor and he was drafted into the Imperial Infantry. During the Battle of Camden, Francisco’s company was routed. He noticed the artillery were leaving behind one of their valuable cannons, mired in mud. Tales among the infantry say he freed and picked up the approximately 1,100-pound cannon and carried it on his shoulder to keep it from falling into the hands of the enemy. This earned him a promotion to the rank of field sergeant.

He is currently serving as an MP aboard the HMS Guardian, where his impressive size and strength, and minor talent go a long way towards keeping the most dangerous convicts (especially the likes of Dancing Dagger and Roderick Paine) in line. Though he has yet to admit it, he is strongly attracted to Elizabeth Schafer, the daughter of his commanding officer, and hopes to prove his worth to both of them.

Bio:
Race: Class Kit Level
Firbolg Shaman Mystic 1st
Complete Book of Humanoids Faiths and Avatars Al’Quadim: Arabian Adventures Max: 9th
Homeland Religion: Alignment Role
Azores Catholic (Tree Ghost) Lawful Neutral Overseer
Height Weight Age
10 ft. 1 in. 746 lbs. 45 years

Ability Scores:

Str 18/02 Attack +1 Damage +3 Weight 202 Max Press 420 Open Doors 12 BB/LG 20%
Dex 10
Con 16 Hit Points +2 System Shock 95% Resurrection 96%
Int 12 Profs +3
Wis 13 Bonus Spells 1st
Cha 10 Henchmen 4

Reactions:

  • Initiative: +0
  • Surprise: +0
  • NPC Reaction: +0

Combat Statistics:
Hit Points: 23
Armor Class: 3 (natural)
THAC0: 20
Saves:

  • Paralyzation/Poison/Death: 10
  • Rod/Staff/Wand: 14
  • Petrification/Polymorph: 13
  • Breath Weapon: 16
  • Spells: 15
Weapons # Att Att Bonus Dmg Dmg (L) Speed Range Special
Two-handed Sword 1 +1 1d10+3 3d6+3 10 melee one-handed
Smith’s Hammer 1 +1 1d6+3 1d4+4 5 melee

Thief Skills: (no armor)

PP 0% HS 0%
OL 0% HN 20%
F/RT 0% CW 55%
MS 0% RL 0%

Non-Weapon Proficiencies: General, Priest, Warrior

Modern Languages (Portuguese) 12 Alertness 14
Modern Languages (Firbolg) 12 Religion 13
Modern Languages (Storm Giant) 12 Endurance 16
Modern Languages (English) 12 Blacksmithing 18
Modern Languages (French) 12 Athletics 9
Survival (Coastal) 10 Tracking 7
Hunting 12 Weather Sense 12
Set Snares 9 Fire-Building 12

Weapon Proficiencies: (-4 non-proficiency penalty)
Two-handed Sword
Smith’s Hammer
Club


Racial Abilities:

  • Firbolgs have magical powers usable once per day. These develop, in order, at odd-numbered levels, starting at 3rd level. The powers are:
    • 3rd level: detect magic
    • 5th level: diminution (as double the potion)
    • 7th level: fools’ gold
    • 9th level: forget
    • 11th level: alter self
  • Firbolgs can use large human weapons (like two-handed swords and halberds) with one hand without penalty.
  • Firbolgs can swat away incoming missiles with a roll of 6 or better on 1d20. With one free hand, they can bat away up to two missiles per round. Large missiles, such as hurled boulders or catapult missiles, can be caught if the firbolg wishes. Caught missiles can be hurled back at opponents on the next round with a -2 penalty to the attack roll.
  • Firbolg shamans gain additional innate magical abilities. At 1st to 5th level, they receive two 1st level Illusion spells at each level. At 6th to 10th level, they receive two 2nd level Illusion spells at each level. At 11th to 15th level, they receive two 3rd level Illusion spells. At 16th to 20th level, they receive two 4th level Illusion spells. As innate abilities, these are randomly determined, and do not change once they are established. Each of these spells can be used once per day (if a spell is rolled more than once, the firbolg gains an additional daily use of that spell).
    • 1st level: Change Self 1/day and Illusory Talent 1/day
  • Firbolgs have 15% magic resistance, even against magic that is beneficial. They may not voluntarily lower this magic resistance.
  • Firbolgs never wear armor of any sort, nor do they carry shields.
  • Firbolgs take damage as Large creatures.
  • Firbolgs must earn twice the normal number of experience points to advance each level (i.e. a 2nd level Fighter requires 4000xp instead of the usual 2000xp). Firbolg shamans must earn three times the normal amount of experience.

Class Abilities:

  • Weapon and Armor Restrictions: Shamans use the weapons of their tribes. A Firbolg’s tribal weapons include the club, halberd, two-handed sword. In addition, Mystics may take weapons normally forbidden to their priest class if they fill twice the usual number of proficiency slots.
  • Magic Items: Shamans may use any magical items normally usable by priests.
  • Level Limits: Nonhuman mystics are limited to their standard levels plus 2.
  • Neutral Shamans can attempt to command undead creatures, as a Cleric of the same level. This is resolved in the same way as a turning attempt. A maximum of 12 undead can be commanded at any one time. A “T” result means the undead automatically obey the shaman, while a “D” means the undead become completely subservient to the shaman. They follow his commands (to the best of their ability and understanding) until turned, commanded, or destroyed by another.
  • Tree Ghost shamans are able to cast one extra spell of up to 4th level from the All, Animal, Divination, Elemental, Healing, Plant, or Weather spheres once per day. The shaman can pick the desired spell on the spot and need not have the spell prepared previously. The spell is available and works normally even if it is from a sphere or spell level not normally available to the shaman.
  • At 5th level, a Tree Ghost shaman can shapechange (as the Druid ability) into a Treant once per week for 3d6 turns, gaining all the abilities of that creature.
  • Spirit Powers: A shaman begins play with one minor spirit ally or guide of his choice; it’s assumed that he has already performed the rites to summon this first guide. As he rises in level, he learns the rites necessary to call additional spirits. Spirits are individuals—speaking to a spirit of the dead means the shaman is in contact with one particular deceased individual. To summon a spirit, the shaman must chant, pray, and perform a ceremonial dance for at least 1 turn. The base chance of success is 10% per character level, plus 10% for every additional turn the character chants and dances, to a maximum 90% chance of success. If the shaman has already attempted to summon a spirit that day, his maximum chance of success falls by 10% per summoning attempt—a shaman who has called one spirit, tried to call another and failed, and is trying a third summoning has a maximum success chance of 70%, or possibly less if he’s a low-level character in a hurry. In any event, a shaman may attempt no more than one calling per level in the course of a single day. A roll of 96 or higher (91 or higher in the case of spirits of nature) angers the spirit the shaman is trying to call.
    • Unlucky Albatross: (Minor Animal Spirit) Minor animal spirits can aid the shaman by using animal friendship, speak with animals, or animal summoning I on his behalf. In addition, the animal spirit can grant a limited form of clairaudience and clairvoyance by allowing the shaman to see through the eyes of an animal of that species, with a range of one mile. Animals of the species in question will never attack the shaman or anyone under his protection unless the shaman has angered the spirit or the animals are magically controlled.
  • Mystics can only receive spells through the method they’ve chosen (for Peter this is working at a forge). If a mystic is prevented from attaining that state—e.g., hobbled so he can’t dance, harangued so she can’t meditate—no spells can be gained.
  • Mystics suffer a 2-point penalty to reaction rolls when dealing with pragmatist and ethoist clergy, and a 4-point penalty for moralist clergy.

Shaman Spells: as 1st-level Priest

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
2 0

Major Spheres: All, Animal, Earth, Protection, Summoning, Travelers, Wards, Weather
Minor Spheres: Healing, Plant

  • Prepared Spells:
    • 1st:

Equipment:

Cash: 0£, 2s, 0d, 0f

  • 2 shillings
Item Weight Stored
Imperial Infantry Uniform 1 lb. worn
Two-handed Sword 15 lbs back scabbard
Ring of Keys (for prisoners manacles) 1 lb strung on belt
Smith’s Hammer (holy symbol) 4 lbs stuck through belt

Encumbrance:

Base Speed: 15

Total Weight of Gear: 16 lbs.

Unencumbered Light Moderate Heavy Severe
Weight 0 – 202 lbs. 203-261 lbs. 262-320 lbs. 321-378 lbs. 379-420 lbs.
Movement 15 11 8 5 1

Sergeant Peter Francisco

Beyond the Shore: To Seek After Sadness Brand_Darklight PaulWalker